Wednesday 24 November 2010

let's hear it for green baskets...

One of the reasons I sell baskets is because I believe we should reduce our use of throwaway plastic bags. Despite the best efforts of M&S and others, we still throw millions of them away every year.

Ireland introduced a plastic bag tax in 2002 which resulted in a 90% reduction in the use of plastic bags. The Irish wanted to reduce the amount of litter, waste and damage to the environment and wildlife caused by plastic bags. Many cities around the world have also taken action. San Francisco was an early adopter (2007) and Los Angeles County last week became the latest authority in the US to introduce laws to restrict plastic bag usage and promote reusable bags.

Of course, in France, the tradition of taking a basket with you to go food shopping has never disappeared. While not shopping, baskets can be used for a hundred other purposes around the house and garden. The baskets I sell are handmade, mainly in Morocco and Ghana, using natural materials like grasses, reeds and leaves from local, renewable sources. And what's more, they're beautiful.


So let's hear it for the basket! If you'd like to see why I love them so much, come and take a look. I'll be at the Whiteladies Christmas Farmers' Markets on 4 and 18 December. And there's a list of other events where I'll be selling in the next few weeks on my website (http://www.green-baskets.co.uk/). I have lots of limited edition and one-off baskets that will make great presents....



Hope to see you there.....

2 comments:

  1. will see you there, rain, snow or shine....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be great - I can already feel the Christmas cheer! Hope they've got some mulled wine!

    ReplyDelete