Friday 9 September 2011

september (and katia)...

 


Autumn's here and it's the beginning of another academic year. Term's begun, everyone's back at work and the traffic on the morning commute has doubled. The weather's changing and this weekend will bring us the remnants of Hurricane Katia.

The summer flew by. It feels like 5 minutes since we were making our holiday plans, looking forward to the garden being in full bloom, anticipating a summer full of festivals.




And now the garden is beginning to die. Last weekend I pruned the honeysuckle and clematis back into shape, and pulled up the comfrey, the sweet peas and the last of the sunflowers. I always worry that I'm being too brutal but it's usually fine. My beautiful standard bay tree, that I've been nursing all year, hoping against hope that it would recover from last winter's punishment, has shown no signs of recovery. Regrettably, I'm going to have to concede defeat.

Tomorrow is Thornbury Food Fair. I'm looking forward to lots of autumn produce and lovely plants. It's always busy and interesting and a little wind and rain won't put people off. The market traders will anchor their tables and gazebos and try to stop everything from blowing away. So do your worst Katia - we're ready for you!




1 comment:

  1. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. slotted angle racks Delhi, plastic baskets manufacturers Delhi.

    ReplyDelete