Tuesday 8 February 2011

the baskets are coming....

My friend, S, who lives in Bayeux for part of the year, emailed to say that the baskets are starting to reappear in her local market. Waiting for the baskets to arrive is a bit like watching for the swallows to return and just as exciting, at least for me! It's a sign of Spring coming, the days getting longer, the weather picking up.

Here's a jumble of baskets in a French street. These come mainly from Madagascar.


And most of these are from Morocco:


Meanwhile, I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my next delivery of pot baskets which are the most beautiful and intricately woven that I have the pleasure of handling. These are true works of art, made in Ghana by highly skilled weavers, and the people I sell them to are usually basket collectors. Here are some of last year's:


And once the baskets have arrived, I'll be back at the market. Just in the process of finalising the programme of fairs and festivals for the Spring. I'm looking forward to seeing all my old friends at Whiteladies (hi to L and R!) and meeting some new ones too. So come on down....

2 comments:

  1. What glorious colours! I can feel another purchase coming on....

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots more coming! You can have your pick of the bunch.....!

    ReplyDelete