Wednesday 15 June 2011

bloomsday...

Bloomsday is held on 16 June each year. It's a celebration of the life of James Joyce and commemorates the day in 1904 when Joyce met Nora Barnacle, who became his wife. The day is celebrated in his novel Ulysees, whose main character is Leopold Bloom and gives his name to the annual event.

Bloomsday events and celebrations are held all over the world, as well as Dublin. Here's what's happening in New York, should you be lucky enough to check it out.

We have celebrations closer to home that day because it's my son's birthday. I've never managed to make it through Ulysees but I'm happy to toast James Joyce while we cut the birthday cake, so long as we can have Van Morrison providing the soundtrack (any excuse will do). And to put the finishing touches to our very own Bloomsday celebration, here are some shamrock plants that my friend gave me for St Patrick's Day, happily colonising my garden.

A very happy Bloomsday to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment