Monday 13 June 2011

monet was right...

I was looking at some photos of Monet's garden at Giverny the other day. They've just appointed a new head gardener James Priest, who trained at Kew. He was describing the way Monet painted, and gardened, in layers.

Claude Monet home and garden in Giverny

I was reflecting on why those colour combinations, white through pink to purple and blue, are so visually satisfying. I don't know the answer (clearly, I should have paid more attention in Art classes) but they do look fabulous, particularly when they're all together.

I planted delphiniums, foxgloves, lupins and poppies together in my garden this year, hoping I'd be able to create my own little piece of blue/pink calm. They're doing ok although my colour scheme has been slightly thwarted by the lupins (marked as blue), coming up yellow!

Organic Blooms had bunches of the first sweet peas at the market last week, along with these beauties.



I particularly like the way colours and textures work together so I put them in a basket.



Not quite Monet but hey, everyone has to start somewhere....


No comments:

Post a Comment