Thursday 21 October 2010

an apple a day...

Today is Apple Day (for more info see: http://www.england-in-particular.info/cg/appleday/a-events.html). To show willing, I thought I'd cook up some of the apples that have been sitting in the fruit bowl for a bit too long in some butter, demerara sugar and cinnamon. Here they are getting sweet and sticky...


I'll eat these for breakfast tomorrow morning with some greek yoghurt, presupposing there's any left by then! Not sure that the nutritional content of these is as good as it might be, given all that sugar and butter. But hey! It's still apple! 5 a day anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the gluten-free, Eton-free Mess we made with caramelised apples, fromage frais and meringues for your birthday last year..

    I'm off to make an Apple Pie - suitably inspired... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh yes, that pudding was fantastic! I want to try the Nigel Slater apple cake but need to work out how to make a gluten free version. Enjoy the apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case anyone else feels like trying it, I just made a gluten free version of the Nigel Slater English Apple Cake, using Dove's Farm gluten free flour, and it was absolutely fine.

    ReplyDelete