Sunday 9 January 2011

bright side of the road...

Today was sunny so I went to buy tulips which always remind me of Spring. I put them in my favourite vase, bought in Spain, a reminder of happy holidays with friends.


Having survived December, which turned out to be the coldest on record, I've been feeling in serious need of an uplift. Since New Year, it's been grey, rainy and miserable. So today was great. Clear blue sky, no rain and a whole day when the temperature stayed above freezing!

To capture and preseve this spirit, I'm compiling a playlist of music which reminds me of sunshine. I'm going to play it relentlessly from now until Spring, particularly on days when the clouds are low. Haven't finalised the list yet but here are some of the contenders:

Amadou and Mariam                       Senegal Fast Food 
Jack Johnson                                   Banana pancakes            
The Rascals                                     Groovin'
Bob Marley and the Wailers            Three Little Birds
Mica Paris                                       Like Dreamers Do
JJ Cale                                            They call me the breeze
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss       Gone, gone, gone
Buena Vista Social Club                  Chan Chan
Afro Cubism                                    Jarabi

and of course,
Van Morrison                                  Bright Side of the Road:

'Let's enjoy it while we can
Won't you help me sing my song
From the dark end of the street
To the bright side of the road'

Amen to that!

2 comments:

  1. one to add. Outkast Hey Ya!. A gloom defying track if ever there was one.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree! How about They call me the breeze by JJ Cale?

    ReplyDelete